Wednesday, May 22, 2013


PLANS AND PROMISES

      In a recent wedding ceremony, I was once again reminded of the seriousness and the strength found within those vows the bride and groom spoke to each other. We know those vows well, “I take you to be my husband/wife…to have and to hold…for better or worse…for richer or poorer …. till death us do part…I pledge you my faith.” These are sacred promises.

      From these thoughts about promises, I remember some of the many promises made by God to us his people. The one promise that Jesus makes that I experience the most, the one I keep in front of me at all times, is when he said, “I will not leave you alone. I will go with you to work and school, I will be with you in the darkest night when you are so worried that you can’t sleep, I will be with you in sickness and when you celebrate good times, I will never leave you.” When I reach out for that promise, and then feel his presence surround me, I realize that Jesus is keeping his promise. Whatever God promises, he is able to carry out. Our faith increases as we see one promise after the other being kept. Those promises carried out in our daily lives.

      I recently reread the letter that the prophet Jeremiah sent to the exiles in the city of Babylon. It is really a letter from God dictated by Jeremiah telling the Jewish nation that they will spend seventy years in captivity as punishment for the rebellion and sin against God’s law. That is the promise with the bad news. In 29:10-14, we find the good news. Here God promises to restore and renew the lives of his people if they repent and seek his will. Those ancient Jews had lost their homes, temple, families, way of life, and hope for tomorrow. All they had left was God’s promise of restoration. Perhaps, this letter could be our letter from God, his words to our situations.

      God might be saying in our letter of promise, “I have plans for you, as individuals and as a church. These plans are good, they will give you an earthly and eternal future with me, they will give you hope in this world for any situation, and assurance of your salvation. The plans that I have for you will restore your spiritual fortunes and bring blessings upon you in the face of opposition. But you must pray to me, you must make sure that I am at the center of all your activities and thinking, and you must stay close to me.

      Several years ago, God revealed to the leaders of our church that he had plans for us. These plans reflected the vision of an outreach into the Asheville area. After much planning, within the next few weeks we will launch God’s plan and his mission as we claim John 20:21 as our theme. “As the Father has sent me, I send you.” We go not only with God’s plans, but also with God’s promises ringing in our ears. Promises like, “I will never leave you.” “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of people.” “Go into all the world with the good news and I will send my Spirit to be your guide and comforter.” In me, you can have peace. You will have troubles, but be of good cheer because I have overcome the world.” We will hold to these and many other promises in the days ahead. We serve a God who not only makes promises, but also keeps his promises. We come before him with the desire to start a new life and a new faith community. We make our covenant with him, and we believe his promises. We launch forth in faith, faith in God’s promises.

      May we live life as people who are standing on the daily promises, promises that we believe, and promises that are the foundation of our faith. 

Rev. Tim McConnell Long’s Chapel UMC May 12, 2013  

No comments:

Post a Comment