Wednesday, May 22, 2013


RANDOM THOUGHTS

 

      There are times when we have “long term” thoughts about certain topics. For days and weeks, our minds may refuse to let go of those topics and ideas even as we go through the routines of daily living. For example, recently I was totally immersed in the “Jewishness” of Jesus. I was enthralled with how Jesus’ Jewish traditions affected the content and method of his teachings, and the way he expressed himself. For weeks, I searched for and read several books that fed my curiosity, and kept my interest alive. Although, I still have an interest in the subject, the intensity level has diminished.

      On the other hand, we all have experienced “short term” interest in “passing” thoughts and topics. These subjects hold our attention for a brief time before we move on in our thinking to another topic. These “short term” subjects may be of equal interest as the “long term” topics, but for some reason fail to hold our attention for a long period of time. 

      Sometimes, “short term” thoughts point us to “long term” thoughts. For many months, I have had foremost in my thoughts the idea of Jesus’ disciples being “sent” people and how that applies to the church today, and specifically to me. As I watched the last year’s bird nest being remodeled outside my window, eggs laid and hatched, and the young birds flying away, I was reminded of our “sentness.” Just as the little birds discovered their God-given purpose, we must discern ours. As they would certainly fail in their life’s purpose if they stayed in the nest, so will we.

      We may explore other examples of indirectly related random thoughts. Questions can be asked such as, “Is there a theological, or practical, difference between “loving” and “liking” in our relationships with each other?” Recently our senior pastor, Chuck Wilson, posted this statement on his blog.

      "God does not love us without liking us ..." From Dallas Willard:

"We must understand that God does not 'love' us without liking us - through gritted teeth - as 'Christian' love is sometimes thought to do. Rather, out of the eternal freshness of his perpetually self-renewed being, the heavenly Father cherishes the earth and each human being upon it. The fondness, the endearment, the unstintingly affectionate regard of God toward all his creatures is the natural outflow of what he is to the core - which we vainly try to capture with our tired but indispensable old word 'love'." The Divine Conspiracy: Rediscovering Our Hidden Life in God

      In my thinking about relationships with others, I have this distinction between “loving” and “liking.” I feel that God does put in our hearts the ability to love one another as we love ourselves. This is the mark of a true disciple. What a challenge for me!! But there remains the possibility (maybe) of loving one with Christ-like love and still not “like” the person in a “fellowshipping, buddy-buddy” way. Or, is that just a selfish way of not loving completely in the first place? Or, is my dislike really aimed toward that person’s actions, reactions, habits, etc. instead of the person her/himself? I will continue to think and pray about this. My goal is to be like Jesus and to reflect the love he has toward us all. However, were there times he disliked his disciples? How about toward us? Just thinking… another random thought.

      If sin had not entered the human heart, would God still have sent Jesus? As the early church leaders discussed the incarnation, they asked this question. Some concluded that the incarnation of Jesus would have still taken place because God wants to be as close as he can to us, even becoming one of us. I, also, tend to lean that way in my thinking.

      However, these are just a few indirectly related random thoughts. They may, or may not, hold our interest for very long, but still, they may prove meaningful.

Rev Tim McConnell  Long’s Chapel UMC  May 26, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment